I combine content and line edits into each job unless you specifically ask for only line edits or proofreading. This is just the way I work, and I find it easier for all involved.
- Content/line combo edits – Focus on the story: characters, pacing, setting, plot, and other suggestions to improve the overall content of the story. (*includes line edits)
- Only Line edits – sentence level: repetitions, crutch words, dangling modifiers, spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. (*includes proofreading)
- Only Proofreading – ONLY spelling and punctuation.
*Please note: Your story must be complete.
I require one day for every 10,000 words. My work week is M-F, (I reserve weekends for my family) so this translates to one week per 50k.
That said, I love coming through for authors who are in a pinch, so if you have a deadline quickly approaching and need a fast turnaround, please email me! I take pride in helping authors when they need it. <3
$0.01 per word for content/line combo edits
$0.0075 per word for only line edits
$0.005 for only proofreading
*I reserve the right to go outside of those guidelines depending on type of edits and the intensity of work anticipated. The rate will be determined after I complete your sample edit.
*I use the beginning word count (the count when I receive the manuscript) for invoicing, so my edits won’t change the cost.
*Members of RomanceDivas.com receive a discount of 10%!*
Please contact me! I’m usually more than happy to negotiate and even take payment arrangements at times. 🙂 Email me and let’s talk!
Email me at theresacole(at)live(dot)com to reserve your spot!
- genre of your work
- word count (or estimated word count) of the work you are considering me for
- proposed deadline for completion of edits
- type of edits you are interested in
- five-page sample of your manuscript (attached as a word document)
I will edit your sample (Times New Roman, 12pt font, double-spaced) at no cost and send it back to you before any commitments are made. I want the experience to be good for both of us. You are entitled to see how I edit before committing, and I am entitled to see what I am getting myself into before committing to take on the project.
The fine print…
If an agreement is reached and you hire me to edit your manuscript, you agree:
- to NOT hold me responsible for any aspect of your book’s outcome (edits are done in track changes of Microsoft Word—giving you the option to accept or reject each one—so the responsibility of your book’s final outcome ultimately falls back on you)
- to your book cover (if available) and title being posted on this page, showing that I did work for you
- that no one is perfect and mistakes will happen (no one can catch absolutely EVERYTHING)
- your payment will include ONE pass (I offer second passes at a discount, though!)
- refunds will NOT be given—this is why I require sample edits before any commitments are made
- Please note: I am offering this service independently. What I do through my site has nothing to do with the publishing houses I work with.
- formatting required = Times New Roman, 12 pt font, double-spaced (If I receive your book with a different format, I will change it to these settings before I start editing). *ALSO, if your formatting is wonky and can’t be changed/fixed easily, I will send your book back so you can reformat it before I start.
*Please be aware! More often than not, I have multiple projects in the queue at all times. Editing projects will be completed on a first come, first serve basis. Please contact me early to ensure I have enough time to get through your book before your proposed deadline.
Theresa is an eagle-eyed editor with a sharp attention to detail. I’ve worked with her on two books and she’s done an amazing job catching spelling and grammar errors, and also more in depth concerns...continuity problems, inconsistencies, as well as goal and motivation issues. Her suggestions are invaluable and she's a wonderful resource.
Cynthia Rayne, USA Today Bestselling Author
"I needed a rush, last-minute edit job for a short story, and Theresa was there in a flash. She responds to emails quickly and communicates very well. My story was delivered back to me in enough time to where I could incorporate her edits. Theresa follows the Chicago Manual of Style, is very good at finding small errors and typos, and she loves commas as much as I do! I will definitely be using her for future projects."
"I have Used Theresa Cole's services for many books. She is a pleasure to work with, efficient, professional, and organized. I'm very happy with her services and would highly recommend her--as a matter of fact, I have!"
Cathryn Fox, NYT and USA Today bestselling author
"Theresa did an amazing job of editing my first Entangled release (Crash Into Love). She held my hand every step of the way. Thank you!"
Sofia Grey, Author
"Theresa has a great eye for characterization and voice. Her edits are thoughtful and communicated well. I love working with her..."
Lisa Kessler, Award Winning Author
Books I have worked on: